Goats/goat fur loss

Question
Out of 14 Saanens, I have one that is experiencing fur loss. Over the months, her fur was thinning on the neck, and now suddenly she is losing fur on her back/sides.  She seems to be healthy otherwise, as far as eating, drinking, pooping, walking.  She is nursing a kid.  The kid seems okay.  I'm wondering if it is malnutrition, lice or something else.  I don't know why only one has this.  Some others have lost fur on the edges of their ears, but nowhere else.  What should I suspect or look for?  Please and thanks.

Answer
Sounds like selenium deficiency - many times one goat has this and it does not bother other goats.  Best treatment would be human selenium with vitamin E and D (E and D is required to make the selenium work and Bo-Se injectable or the gel does not have the vitamin D and D is needed to make the E and selenium work).  For an adult goat you would use ten of the 200 mcg tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and all the oil from an 800 IU capsule of vitamin D, mix well, cool and give orally.  Would advise repeating in ten days time, at which time you should see a little improvement with new hair growth.  Even if you use a salt/block with selenium sometimes some goats just do no get enough.  The amount of selenium/E/D given depends on age - so adult goats is the dosage above and younger/kid goats get less (I can send you the total regimen if you'd like).  The oral method works very well.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres