Goats/goat kid-problem after banding

Question
I have a month old kid who was given a booster shot & banded by my vet around noon yesterday (friday). He is still acting like he is in a lot of pain. Refused his bottle tonight (has never happened before). Acting very lethargic. Is this normal? At what point do i take him to the emergency vet? Thank you!

Answer
I take it was a CDT toxoid booster vaccination?  If it was a tetanus antitoxin he could be having a reaction.  Generally within 2 to 4 hours after experienced banding the goat has no pain.  What is his temperature?  If over 102.5 then an infection has set in and he needs penicillin at 1 cc twice a day for 3 days started as soon as possible.  You can give him human aspirin at 1/4 of a human 325 mg aspirin every 6 hours to help with pain and discomfort.  Did he band correctly?  Did he happen to band the teats (yes, males have teats too) too, unfortunately that would be very painful.  Sounds like a banding job gone badly - did the vet have good experience banding?  Use the aspirin - crush the tablet amount and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally.  If the kid is not in the house with you would take him in to keep stress at a minimum.  Not much that an emergency vet could do except for cutting the band - which you could do to - and re band later and start him on antibiotics, if you do not have any at home.  Banding really should be done at 10 days to 2 weeks of age to keep the pain, swelling and discomfort down.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres