Goats/goat milk

QUESTION: I am trying to find out a withdrawal time for a food additive Rumensin before drinking goat milk.  It says on the label not to feed to lactating goats but I know that only means if you are drinking the milk.  We had not planned on drinking the milk but when the doe kidded, the kid was so large and its head was turned nose down instead of out by the time the vet got it out it was dead.  This doe is 3/4 togg so she is producing lots of milk.  We have already got her changed over to a non medicated feed but not sure how long she should be on it before we use the milk.  She also had to have antibiotics and we won't use the milk until Thurs. morning anyway.  That will be more than 48 hours from the last time she had even a small amount of the medicated feed.  The man at the co-op where we get the feed said he didn't think it would be a problem since it doesn't enter the blood stream.  What is your opinion?

ANSWER: Sorry to hear of the loss of the kid goat.  As an aside, once the doe begins pushing hard I give her only 20 minutes before I help - many times the early help is essential to live kids.  
As to the Rumensin - first off I never use a chemical food additive.  I see there is no withdrawal time set for Rumensin - that is one thing that always bothers me when a company neglects to state a withdrawal time.  With that said I have seen research that says Rumensin does not stay in the tissues after one day.  The man at the co-op is incorrect.  Rumensin enters the blood stream, the tissues, everywhere.  I would advise giving at least a 7 day withdrawal time - most antibiotics are 96 hours (4 days) and since we don't know if the people who are going to drink the milk may or may not be allergic to some chemicals I would hope the 7 day would cleanse the goat's body totally.  Do hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick response and for the info on kidding.  I usually wait 30 min but this is the first time I've had to get the vet because the nose was down and one leg was back.  Only 1 leg was out and I wasn't having any luck so by the time the vet got there it was even longer.  Next time I have one that is having that much trouble getting to that point I will only wait 20 min before getting help if I can't do it.

Most of my goats are boer and the rumensin has a zero day withdrawal for meat consumption.  If you don't use chemical food additives, what do you use to help keep the kids from getting coccidiosis?  And at what age?

Thanks again

Thanks for the update.  The one leg out is a deliverable scenario to - I like to use the kid puller to help keep the head/nose up and then using the one leg out pull to the opposite side of that leg and down and that usually pops things out more easily.  Re the Rumensin - I am doubting really whether the Rumensin gets out of the tissues in no days - any chemical stays in the tissues for at least a day and many more days for some - but have not read any research or researched statements about Rumensin.  Re coccidiosis - because I bottle feed all our kids - have bottle fed for 28 years - anywhere from 15 to 40 kid goats born each Spring and I bottle feed all - I use Sulmet liquid at 1.5 cc/15 pounds body weight given once a day for one week (put it in their bottle) and then off for 2 weeks, then back on for a week, then off for 2 weeks and by the time they are 3 months of age they have built up enough immunity and a good immune system to keep the coccidia from causing issues.  Re the feed - I have never found that you can totally control how much they get in their feed unless you are feeding in separate tie stalls for each goat - at least, my goats do not share - so any meds or vitamins they get via an oral drench or a non bake granola bar.  Hope that helps.  I know everyone has their own regimens and I always tell folks at my goat healthcare/nutrition seminars that if what they are doing works for them then don't change just because I have a different regimen.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County