Goats/goat seems to walk on pads of feet

QUESTION: we have a male nubian, approximately 2 yrs. old. for the last couple of months we have noticed he eats on a kneel. when i watched him walk, it seemed that he was walking on the "pads" of his front hoofs. he doesn't walk on the tips of his feet like the others do. other than the walk, he seems fine. any idea why he walks like this. thank you, pam burke

ANSWER: So he is really walking on the frog part/rear part of the hoof pad and not the whole pad as goats do? Are his hooves trimmed? No injuries that you can see?  What type of feed regimen is he on? Is he up to date on his selenium/vitamin E and D supplementation?  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: his hooves are fine, no injuries at all. and he up to date on everything. he just walks funny,  appetite is good, and he plays with the other goats. sort of looks like his front end waddles.

What is his feed regimen? If he is on a high protein grain or hay then he could have the start of a laminitis/founder and that could be the cause.  He could also be selenium deficient and that causes his muscles in the leg area to not allow him to walk correctly.  Goats need a selenium/vitamin E and D supplement about 3 times a year and some goats show symptoms more than others - I use human selenium and E and D orally and this works as well if not better than injectables or gels (neither of which have the vitamin D which is necessary for the selenium and E to work).  Use of ten of the 200 mcg selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and all the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule are added, mixed, cooled and given to the goat.  He may need a second dose in 10 days.  At the 10 day mark you should see some improvement if it is selenium deficiency.  Hope this helps - let me know about the grain/hay.  Thanks - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County