Goats/Goat with Toxemia Gave Birth to Quads

Our 3 yr old Boer doe kidded 4 days ago (this is her second kidding) - she was about 9 days early; she required manual assist for delivery of 3 of the kids and all 4 died within 6 hours (too weak). Her toxemia appeared to be mild and was treated immediately when discovered.

She has been weak but is now able to stand and join a few other does in the 2 acre pasture to eat. I have been giving her probiotics, vitamin b injections, and excede (antibiotic)- the day of and the day after she kidded. Her placenta did not slide out easily with manual pressure until 48 hours later. She did receive her CD&T vaccination 3 weeks ago.

Today I noticed she is still having a brownish red vaginal discharge, no odor but it is enough that her tail hair is saturated and it sometimes drips down onto her legs. How long should this continue?

Also, how long will it take for her to fully recover from the toxemia so she ma be safely bred again?  

Thanks so much for your help!

So she had ketosis? Or did she have hypocalcemia? What were her symptoms? Did she have a sickly sweet breath?  Did she stop eating totally before kidding? Was she eating and drinking or not? How long did you wait before assisting in the births? The brownish red discharge suggests she has an intrauterine infection - which could have caused the early birth and the kids to die.  Re the vitamin B is that complex with thiamin or just B12? The placenta not coming out on time is suggestive of selenium deficiency and/or intrauterine infection.  Is she running a fever? Anything over 102.5 indicates an infection.  Let me know and I will get back to you - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County