Goats/Goats Feet

QUESTION: We have a Boer goat doe and she had a doe baby that is a year old now. Can they get Athlete's foot? They have both lost hair around the foot area and none of the others ever have. We have 12 goats in total. It has been wet here for awhile and they do have to walk thru some mud,but for the most part the pasture is high ground and stays dry. Thanks Rick

ANSWER: Not really athlete's foot but they can get a yeast or fungus infection around the rim of the hoof, especially in wet weather.  Some goats are prone more to these infections than others.  Are there any ulcers or open sores there? Or just loss of hair? This could be a mange issue or even a mange mite issue.  Any other hair loss anywhere else? Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: No open sores. The Mother has had it before and it cleared up on its own. But like I said none of the others have ever had it. So that makes me think it is not a mite issue or the others would get it,wouldnt they? I need to get this yearling fixed before fair time,because she was runner up to the Champion Doe when she was only 4 months old. I just find it strange its the same mother and her daughter? I dont know and Thank You for your time. Any ideas on how to treat this issue with the info I have provided?

Thanks for the info.  Different lines and breeds of goats can allow issues on some goats and not on others.  Stresses can also cause issues.  I would start by giving each of them selenium (human type) at ten of the 200 mcg tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add all the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule and all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule - mix, cool and give orally.  Would also treat the area with an antifungal (even a rain rot horse type medicine) - either a spray such as BluKote or another antifungal - and you can use human athlete's foot preparations to treat for fungal or yeast issues.  You should see improvement/new hair growth in about 10 days.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County