QUESTION: Hi Donna , tonight no change accept was able to get a whole cc of penicillin in the teat and massage it in . It did stay . Tomorrow i will try a cc and a half . i have pretty much took her off grain now . Tonight after much debating in my mind i posted this story on  facebook , a site i belong to called Goats in Yarmouth . Its not to lay blame but to educate people in a positive way . The story was to show them what happens when you don't do your research , and shows the suffering these animals indure because of that lack of knowledge . Hopefully the administration will post it . After i seen this , it has struck a chord with me and if i can get people to use these resources that are out there and save 1 goat it will have been worth it . I mentioned this site as i will mention a few more like Fias . com . Any ways i can tell you this girl hates needles , and i am so afraid of a repeat like santanna , hitting a vein , i do check of course . I go from one back leg to the other to the neck and then the other side , which gives the original site 4 days to recover . Thanks again for your support

ANSWER: I think it is good for people to hear perhaps what they know happens but don't want to really know happens.  I sometimes say things like "really!", "you're doing what?" - I try to be nice but sometimes people have got to understand the stupid things they do to animals.  

You know, most goats hate needles, using the 20 gauge 3/4 inch needles for intramuscular injections seems to make it much easier - I usually have the goat in a milk stand and then lift up the rear leg I'm going to use and do the deed, sometimes there's a big jump.  I never use the neck muscle as it is so small.  I decided a long time ago that the key to taking care of illness most times is penicillin and so I learned long ago to just do the deed.  I once had a filly that was given to us that had a huge back abscess - the vet came out to clean the abscess out and for the next 60 days that horse had 100 cc of penicillin every day - I learned just to do it and get it over with - of course, the horse never liked me after that, always turned it's butt away from me when I came near it!  Ha, ha.  But it got better.  Take care - Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna , today is the first day i have actually seen any indication of pain , a bit of yawning and jumpy on the stand when i am working on the teat . I actually found one of my infusions from last summer , and was able to put half of that in there , this is the real stuff from a site that sells mastitis stuff . Good news is i truly believe the teat at least is starting to soften up a little bit , still pink as is the udder . My responce to the pain , a theory , that i believe the udder has been so hard it problely has been a bit numb , and now that it is starting to give way the pain is going to come . I have actiminafin extra strength , is this ok , no codine ? One kid is going to a trusted friends with one other that the mom is haveing a hard time feeding two . I have been putting salve , and heat twice a day , which she actually enjoys . O how much of the acitaminifin , and how many times ? thanks .

Nice update - your theory of the teat and the response to pain certainly sounds correct.  Re acetaminophen - only aspirin is really accetapble for goats - other human pain meds should not be given.  Aspirin is what I use whenever there is pain, inflammation, fever or swelling - you cannot overdose on the aspirin - the aspirin also decreases the inflammation and so also opens up the tissues.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County