Goats/penicillin dosage

My dairy doe either hurt her back left pastern and hoof area or acquired an infection in the hoof when I trimmed it too short and there was some bleeding. At the time of the trimming I stopped the bleeding with blood stop poweder and gave her 2ccs of C,D & T.  Nine days later she slipped on that same leg and is now limping quite a bit.  There is heat in the pastern area and she is, I think, running a bit of a temp.  It varies from 102.6 in the morning to 103 in the evening.  One day after the noticeable injury I started dosing her with 1 1/2 tabs of 325mg aspirin 3x/day and icing the pastern area twice a day when I milked.  I've also given her a couple of doses of probios and decided to start her on penicillin last night.  The best I could find at the time on the penicillin dosage was 2ml once a day IM.   However, after more research today, I think I need to give her a lot more, like 7-10 ml twice a day.  What is correct?  Thanks!

Anything over 102.5 is a fever/infection.  Re the penicillin, dosage for goats is 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 to 7 days.  And, during this time the goat also needs to be on probiotics twice a day.  Icing is good.  Aspirin 325 mg per 100 pounds body weight every 4 hours is also good for pain and inflammation.  Glad you gave her the CDT booster.  Hope all this helps.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County