Goats/thanks and Greta

Question
QUESTION: Thanks for the information! I will watch for it.

I actually have another unrelated question. One of my bucks has scurs. One is wiggly, the other is not. The solid one is growing toward his head. Would it be possible to try to train the growth by tying the two of them together with twine tightly, to keep them from continuing in that direction. Or would this give him a headache. I have seen horn weights, which must pull on them, too.

Thanks!

ANSWER: For scurs if they are wiggly once you take a horse hoof nipper to them they usually come off/snap off and then you can use a disbudding iron to seal the broken off part at the skull.  For the one that is not wiggly/more solid, I advise use of a survival wire saw which you use to saw off part of the horn - I advise only taking off the farther most 2 to 3 inches so you do not cut into the vein that is still in most scurs, especially those that are longer.  If the scur is not that thick you can also try using horse hoof nippers to nip the end off.  I definitely would not tie them together or use horn weights.  The above regimen is quick and easy.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Hi there! Thanks so much. I wanted to get it done before I got back to you. He's all set. I have to admit, it wasn't quite as daunting as it sounded to me at first. He is feeling much better. I think it had started to just barely touch.

Update on Greta. She is doing really well - eating plenty and seems n good spirits. I am a little concerned about this cut she has at the opening. I have tried so hard to keep it clean. I wash it with iodine 3-4 times a day and put preparaton H on to protect it. Its tough though, because any time she goes to the bathroom, it gets dirty. THe discharge didn't help either because she kept getting hay and shavings stuck to it. Just today I noticed a bit of brown that I didn't like. I really think it is coming from the cut, and not from inside. Its a tiny bit and looks like the bit of gunk that dogs get in their eyes sometimes (sorry it sounds a bit unpleasant). I pulled aside the folds a bit, and the cut is turning a gray brown, which doesn't look too good. Is their anyway to treat it topically, or should I just go with the penecillin? She has really bonded with me after the whole experence, and I don't want the injections to ruin it. It took Lisl weeks to get over the injections for her uterine infection. She wouldn't go near me. It will get about 100times more difficult to milk her, too. Sorry! I'm not trying to complain.

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  Glad the scur issue is okay.  Know it sounds worse than it is once you get doing it.  Glad it had not gone into the skull yet.  Re Greta, glad she is eating and looks good.  Re the cut, you're right the color/gray-brown does not sound healthy.  You could try LA200 which is a long acting oxytetracycline - 4.5 cc/100 pounds body weight once every other day for 5 doses - may not be as stressful on her as penicillin regimen, and should work - we just need to get some antibiotics into her tissues.  Hope this helps - Donna

PS You're not complaining at all - I understand totally - one story about goats and their memory of people is that I helped a gal care for her pygmy goats - she had 20 or so of them - whenever I came over it was for injections or to clean a wound or to help with kidding - so not very fun jobs - after only a few times visiting, the gal asked me to call her in advance before I got to the driveway so she could put the goats up in their stalls - when they saw my car coming they ran to the back pasture and she could not get them back in until I had left - very funny - so, you're right goats remember.  

QUESTION: Oh, thanks for the story. It really helps-too funny! I think I might like to try the penicillin because it is a lesser amount per dose, isn't it? I think for Lisl  used the LA200, and i had to do two injections per dose because it ended up being 7.5cc and I couldn't fit it all in one syringe. I think I might try the subcutaneous this time too. It's funny, Greta truly thinks I am her kid (I think because I spent so long trying to revive the baby - she sat right next to me the whole time and tried to help). I got the smell all over me, and when the baby wasn't there anymore, she started licking me and cooing at me. I played the role and cooed back and rubbed her tummy. Now, she chews my hair, licks my ears, and coos at me when I milk her. She hollers at me when I leave, too. I don't have to use the milking stand at all and she'll lift her foot out of the way to let me in. When I do the injections, maybe she'll just think her "kid" is giving her a nip. Would you mind giving me the penicillin regimen again? Thanks so much as always.

Answer
Hi there - So cute about Greta and you - yup, you're right she thinks your hers.  Re antibiotics,  they really always need to be given intramuscularly but if you really want to do the subcu injections (between the shoulders) you have to give twice the amount in order for the correct amount to get into her system. So intramuscular penicillin would be 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day and if you give subcutaneously it would be 6 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day.  Kind of a toss up as to what to do, sorry.  Hope it helps.  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres