I have finished Whitley's 5 days of antibiotics, yogurt, vit B, oatmeal.  She looked somewhat better, but she won't take her yogurt/ vitb/ oatmeal willingly anymore.  We found some pelleted goat food that she will eat.  Two days ago she ate several cups at her AM and PM feedings.  Now, she is back to nibbling, but not eating them.  She grazes in the pasture and nibbles a bit of hay.  Her tail is still droopy, no diarrhea or anything like that.  Not sure if she urinates or poops at this point.  Any other suggestions?  THanks. Suzie

ANSWER: Did you use the penicillin intramuscularly twice a day?  She may need a longer timing of the antibiotics.  Very glad she is eating though.  An extra 2 to 5 days of penicillin and other items will not hurt her.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: We did use the antibiotics....I read several articles regarding Listeriosis in goats and it recommended high doses of PCN, actually given subq along their ribs.  I used 8cc, 3x per day.  I will continue the other things and give her PCN for another 5 days.  SHould I continue the high dose?  I have heard of people using aloe vera in cattle, but I didn't know if that could be used in goats.   A gentleman at the feedstore recommended using powdered charcoal or  bentonite clay to "draw" the impurities out.  Didn't know about that either.  She seems to be drawn to twigs and bushes.  Thanks so much for helping!!  Suzie

Listeriosis is caused by moldy grain - I believe you said there was no mold found anywhere.  Are you giving the penicillin intramuscularly?  If not, then the goat is only getting a minimal amount of penicillin.  Too much penicillin can cause resistance in the bacteria.  I would stick with a normal regimen of 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice daily intramuscularly and go to 7 or 10 days of treatment.  Are you giving the probiotics too?  If not her rumen will not function normally.  Re the charcoal - no, no, this will make her vomit and that is not needed.  Aloe vera liquid (human) can  be used to help stomach disturbances but generally does not work well with ruminants.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County