Goats/Dropped pastern happened suddenly

I have a 2 year old Nubian doe who has 1 month old twins, her 1st freshening. She is slim, not overweight at all. This morning we noticed her back left pastern looked down. Her toes were spread wide, as if to provide balance. Her feet have always been kept well-trimmed and she stood beautifully. The area is not hot or swollen, no signs of an injury externally. When she walks she doesn't favor that leg, but at each step she steps on the toes as normal, then the pastern drops. She is milked once per day, giving about 1/2 gallon. She is fed alfalfa pellets, a 16% Purina goat chow, and corn, along with goat probiotic powder. She gets high quality dairy goat minerals free choice. I hope you have some information. Thank you!

Sorry for the delay in answering.  Without signs of injury/trauma, three items come to mind as possibilities - one is the high amount of protein she has - alfalfa pellets is about 16% protein and with the 16% protein of the goat chow - this makes for 30% or more protein - this can cause founder which can cause their ligaments to drop/pastern in particular.  Taking her off this high protein may help - a good hay and a goat feed without alfalfa works very nicely and is safe.  This also could be a selenium deficiency.  This also could be a conformation fault/genetic with her.  Do you know her dam and sire?  What do their pasterns look like?  

I would start by dropping her protein level intake.  I would also give her selenium (human) ten of the 200 mcg tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and all the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule (Bo-Se or gel will not do the trick).  I would check out her genetics.   Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County