Goats/drying up does

Hi Donna , first the goats with liver fluke for the most part are on the mend , and I've been able to confirm liver fluke . The young buck has hard poop , but is pointy and a bit stuck together , also he has had a pot belly for a lot of the winter , classic signs of this culprit . Now the reason I'm contacting you . I have 2 does , Sadie who had mastitis last year and so far has averted it , that I wish to dry up . She is sannan and has a buck kid on her , but she is getting to where she no longer will nurse him much . She is a big milker 6 liters per day . How can I safely do this , without her getting the mastitis . She swells up so hard she can barely walk . I know about the reduction in feed . Also another which has a mild case of mastitis and is being treated , another big milker , she is the one with the coke bottle teats . Her kids are no longer here , both in good homes as pets . Again how can I safely dry her up , without making the problem worse , I actually gave her an infusion this morning to speed up the healing . I always suspected she would develop mastitis because of those massive teats almost dragging on the ground . Guess that's about it . You know I have got to stop rescuing these unwanted does , it translates into a lot of work . I have a total of 4 girls here , wonderful goats that were destined for the pit or meat market . Thanks

Good to hear about liver fluke regimen working.  Re the does, this will be a long task - first thing I do is stop their high protein intake, so no grain.  I milk out the doe, then let her go for 2 days without milking, continued no grain; then I milk her out again, continued no grain, and go for 3 or 4 days - continue this process for big milkers for a total of 14 days and that generally is all it takes - during this time though I suggest use of the intramammary infusion Tomorrow once, then again in 2 days and then again in 7 days.  As a precaution against any mastitis you can give LA200 - every other day for the time they are drying up.  If the teats are so long they drag on the ground I would suggest taping them up.  The goats definitely are not going to be happy with the no grain but no protein indicates to the mammary system to stop production.  Once they are dried up and you are not going to milk them again - you can start them back on protein if they need it for weight concerns.  

Funny, I have two goats here that no one wanted and were ill when I got them - there was another I had taken in some 2 years ago at age 15 because the person could no longer care for it - I just had her euthanized a few months ago due to old age/loss of weight/arthritis at age 17.  She had a good retirement home.  I certainly work for goats - I'm at work today - the goats (26 of them) are out enjoying the sunshine and I'm stuck at work - but then again - I love goats - I see you have the same syndrome that I have - ha, ha.  Okay with that, have a good day you good goat person.  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County