Goats/Oberhasli doe needed assistance with kidding

Hello, I have a 4 year old Oberhasli doe who kidded twins last night around 5 p.m.  They were HUGE babies (and are now very healthy and well) and my doe needed assistance. This is her second freshening.  It took about 2 hours of her pushing and screaming, and me pulling, but she did it.  I had to go inside of her a few times, to make sure the babies were in the right positions and not tangled and all. I used clean gloves with ky jelly. I'm wondering if I should put her on any antibiotics to prevent any chance of infection from me having to go inside of her? And if so, what kind? I have penicillin on hand, and a Tractor Supply near by.  The kids are nursing from her, so the antibiotic should be something safe for them to nurse from her. Also, can I do anything for the pain? She's not quite herself- not eating like I'd like to see. She eats alittle (actually gobbled down her food right after kidding, along with a bucket of water), but this morning, she showed no interest except for the sunflower seeds and fresh grass I gave her. (turned her nose up to the grain and hay). She's up, but her hind end is sore and her vulva (not sure if that's what you call it) is very swollen. She expelled her after birth a few hours after kidding. She weighs over 100 lbs. Thank you very much!

As an aside, I give the doe 20 minutes of hard pushing and then go inside and pull kids out.  Sounds like all was good in the end for you though.  Aspirin, 325 mg one tablet per 100 pounds body weight every 4 hours will help with pain and the inflammation/swelling - crush the tablet and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally.  Would start on penicillin intramuscularly (thigh muscle) at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day for 3 days just to cover for possible infection.  If you start her on antibiotics you must also give her probiotics at that time.  The penicillin will not hurt the kid goats.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County