Goats/PARTIAL BLINDNESS IN GOAT

Question
I BOUGHT A NURSING DOE WITH TWO KIDS ABOUT A MONTH AGO LAST WEEK I NOTICED SHE WAS NOT SEEING OUT OF ONE EYE SEEMED TO BE HURT BY SUNLIGHT TWO DAYS AGO SHE APPEARED TO HAVE LOST ALMOST ALL OF HER VISION
AND HAS A FILM ON THE EYE.HAVE STARTED WITH PINK EYE SPRAY.
COULD IT BE THIAMIN DEFICIENCY. OR CATARACT

Answer
What is her temperature?  Anything over 102.5 is a fever and indicates an infection.  Is she eating and drinking? If she is not eating and has not been eating then it could be thiamin deficiency but she would not have this if she is eating and drinking.  It sounds like a conjunctivitis - would advise use of NFZ puffer or tetracycline eye ointment to the affected eye twice a day for 7 days.  Both are usually available at feed/ farm stores.  What "pink eye" spray are you using? Should also not be a cataract unless she is over 12 years old or so.  I would also start her on penicillin injectable at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days to treat the infection from the inside out - this is given intramuscularly - have you given these types of injections before?  At the same time of any antibiotic you need to also give the goat probiotics - yogurt or powder or gel.  Let me know about the eating.  No other symptoms? Let me know - you're also welcome to call me at 360-742-8310.  Donna

PS - if this is a conjunctivitis and you treat with the abobve you should see improvement in the blindness/white covering within 2 to 3 days.  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres