Goats/sick kid

Question
QUESTION: Hi Donna , glad your back . A few days ago I noticed a 5 week old kid with diarrhea , and thinking it was moms milk I started controlling how much and often she gets it . This hasn't helped a lot , and she seems to be  her appitite . The poo is green so I started treating for coccidiosis with the amprol yesterday and I gave her a scour medicine which has slowed it down . A bit of tooth grinding this morning and last 2 days shivery , so i'm thinking pen mayby ? and this morning i'm giving probiotics .

ANSWER: What is her temperature? The green certainly sounds like coccidiosis.  I like sulmet or other sulfa meds to treat coccidiosis.  Is she bloated at all? Any sloshing in the tummy?  I use pepto bismol to help control the diarrhea.  The shivering could be a fever.  You can't use two antibiotics together otherwise they cancel each other out.  If you have a sulfa medicine then that would treat possible pneumonia too.  Probiotics is also a good idea.  Ever get the Biosponge?  That works well on cocci too.  The teeth grinding is from pain in the tummy - the cocci work on eating the papillae in the rumen and causes pain.

QUESTION: Hi Donna , her temp is normal . There is a bit of a breeze blowing in the open door , helps dry out the barn floor through the day when the girls are out , so I put a heat lamp , and as I'm pretty sure its not moms fault I put her mom with her . She is not bloated , and no sloshing in her belly . The remedy I use for cocci is called Amprol 9.6% , and is mixed at 77cc apple juice and 35cc Amprol , given over 5 days at 8cc twice a day . Usually into the second day I see results . I don't think this one is an antibiotic , but the vet never said it wasn't . I did however give her a shot of noramycin to see if things improve , and since this morning things seem better already , teeth grinding has stopped and can't see any more traces of diarrhea , and yes I need to get some more pepto also . For the moment the scour med seems to be doing the trick , but I don't like using it on kids , afraid I'll plug her up . Thanks

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  Amprol (amprolium) is an antibiotic.  Would use one or the other.  Glad she is better though.  I use human peptobismol on the kids - easy on their tummies and stops the diarrhea quickly without constipating them.  Hope that helps - Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna , so the Amprol is not a poison made to kill the cocci , but rather an antibiotic ? What other applications does this stuff have ? I have used the de metox before with some success for the same problem cocci , but the vet at the time , from Germany , told me the Amprol was better , especially because of the wet climate we sometimes have here . Re Maple , look at her go , lol , wow this girl is a walking miracle , putting on weight and eating like a horse . I'm some glad I stayed in for the long run , if I had of done what I wanted to , put her down , she never would have had a chance to enjoy her life and that bothers me . Thanks

Answer
Amprolium is an antibiotic made to kill the coccidia.  It's brand name is Corid.  I have found that the best anticoccidostat is Sulfamethazine (known as Sulmet - comes in liquid form) as it works very fast, easy to give and also kills pneumonia bacteria.  Amprolium does work second best - I have used Corid when I was out of Sulmet and it did the trick.  I do not use Albon or Dimethox.  But with that said, it is whatever you have available - the coccidia in your pastures (everyone in the world has coccidia issues) may be more susceptible to the Amprolium - and it sounds like your vet seems to know.  But we have a very wet climate here in Washington state all the time and the Sulmet works the best for us around here.   

I am so happy about little Maple - what a great job you did - hanging in there and doing everything you could.  I have had the same thoughts when it comes to some of the rescue goats and sheep I take in - on their death bed literally, no rumen function, skinny (perhaps a lumbar score of less than one), and ill with pneumonia and worms - the vets do not take on these goats but I decided to try and most all have come back well so they can go to a loving home - but I know it takes time, money and more time, and there is frustration when things just don't seem to be working - but I have always made the commitment to try everything I can think of to get them better and, thankfully, like Maple, they have come back.  Tough road to hoe for us goat caretakers with a heart!  

Was looking at the amprolium chemical site and you are correct that it is a toxin that does not allow the coccidia to grow, so many of us goat folks use the term antibiotic loosely as anything that is killing a bacteria or protozoa (coccidia).  Glad you threw that out there.    With that said, that is another reason I use Sulmet first as it is a true antibiotic that kills anything bad - coccidia, bacteria, etc.  My preventative treatment for shipping fever is giving Sulmet for 2 days prior to shipping and for 2 days after they arrive (during shipment if it is going to be more than a day).  I also use the Sulmet to prevent coccidiosis by starting the kid goats at one week of age on 1.5 cc/15 pounds body weight (either given as an oral drench mixed with a sweetener as the sulmet tastes terrible, or added to their bottle) once a day for 7 days, then off for two weeks, back on every day for 7 days, off for two weeks, etc.  I stop at 2 months of age as by that time stresses are not usually heavy enough to cause the coccidia to grow.  
Keep me posted - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres