Goats/Using Selenium Yeast Capsules for Goats.

Hi! I'd like to use some human Selenium Yeast capsules for our 1 y.o. dairy goat doeling who is due to kid in 3 weeks. She is 90-100 pounds, approximately. I want to use this to get her by until we give her the BoSe injection when she kids. Good idea, or bad? If ok then how much daily? Caps are 200mcg. Thank you!!

Is the 200 mcg the selenium amount? The yeast could cause issues with this many capsules to use - if possible use human selenium tablets (200 mcg) for this.  If so then she would need ten of the 200 mcg selenium capsules dissolved in hot water - would not give the capsule - pour out the contents and dissolve in a little hot water and to that you must add all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and all the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule, mix, cool and give orally - one dose of this mixture is generally given 4 weeks prior to kidding - if you do not add the D and E the selenium will not work.  Bo-Se injection really are not necessary as they do not have the D in them and so many, many times just don't work - oral human vitamins/minerals work much better.  For the newborn kid goats, I use one 200 mcg selenium tablet crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add half the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule, mix, cool and give orally.  Generally this is all that is needed.  Hope this helps - Donna  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County