Goats/Disturbing look of a goat's udder after kidding.

Question
This may take some explaining, but here goes.
I have a 2 year old Saaan doe that, to my surprise, kidded 3 days ago. I was not aware she was bred by my herd sire as he was taken out of the doe pen back in November... and I have no other bucks that could have bred her.
The kid (a doeling) is perfect in every way... yet VERY small.
The kid nursed well... got alot of colostrum and then the real milk came in yesterday.
I put the doe on the stantion to check her and the kid out... the kid looked very dehydrated and upon inspecting the doe, her udders and teats looked like I had literally 'banded' them for removal!! They both looked like one of the Playtex Nurser bottle nipples for human babies! VERY HARD and HOT.... so I cleaned them, massaged them... milked them (got about a quart of milk between the two quarters (I tasted the milk as well... it was sweet and had NO smell), then I let the kid at her to try and nurse, which she did for about a half hour, but mainly on one side only.
As I was continuing to check out the doe from head to tail I noticed that the doe had what I can only describe as 'mammaries' that ran along the bottom of her stomach wall... separated like udders... and running almost the length of her abdomen ALMOST to the front armpits. One side was bigger than the other... and it is VERY noticeable! After feeling them both... they feel like long, massive mammary tissue.... I have NEVER seen anything like it!
The doe is eating and drinking well.. not running a temp.... and has bright eyes and talks to the kid all the time.
Can ANYONE tell me what in the world ???????

Answer
Sounds like what you are feeling along the underside of her are the udder/milk veins - these can get large and run along each side of the underside of the stomach.  Should not be worried about those.  Glad you were able to get milk from the udder - in a first time kidder the udder and teats can sometimes be tight and tense and your ability to get milk out of the two halves makes it sound like there is not a mastitis.  Re the temperature, anything over 102.5 would indicate a fever and as such might point to a mastitis.  Keeping a close eye on the doeling to be sure she is getting the milk she needs is important, and you sound like you are already doing this.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres