Goats/dog attacked goat

A dog has attacked our pygmy goat and it took the top part of her ear off and she has two puncture wounds by her ear. What can we put on it? we really cant afford to take her to a vet.
Thank you

Cleaning the torn ear and also cleaning out the puncture wounds - you can use a small syringe (without the needle of course) to push in hydrogen peroxide or a little antibacterial ointment mixed in some warm water.  Keeping the wounds clean is important.  Puncture wounds should be allowed to heal from the inside out.  The ear tear, if possible, should be kept covered slightly if possible with antibiotic ointment on the injured area.  Keeping flies away too is important.  Perhaps use of some "fly off" ointment or spray wound the wounds will help.  If you have injectable antibiotics such as penicillin or oxytetracycline I would advise starting the goat on a course of those to keep infection away.  Being sure the goat is eating and drinking well is also important.  Would also give a CDT toxoid vaccination booster - this is usually available at the feed store.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County