Goats/Jumping goat

A month ago I added a 2 year old Alpine milking goat to my herd. She was fine until a week ago when she started jumping the fence. There is plenty of long grass where she is at, she just has a bad case of "the grass is greener on the other side." We have 48" woven wire fence on our property. We are not able to get higher fence and don't want to resort to putting barbed wire on the top if we can help it. We also have 5 different pastures so electric fencing is pretty much out of the picture finacially for us. I can tether her to a tree where she is away from the fence but hate to have to do that. Is there any way to get them to stop jumping? I have looked into hobbles and no jump dog harnesses but am not sure if they are safe for goats.

I have read a lot of your answers for other people and it has helped me a lot with my other goats. I want to thank you for all the time you put into helping people like me. Thanks!

Unfortunately Alpines are known as jumpers.  About the only thing that really helps is a hot/electric wire at chest height on the fence which keeps most goats from jumping.  The only other way is to put her on a dog type runner lead - she can have exercise but cannot go over the fence.  Hobbles do not work well for goats.   Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County