We hava a 4 month old African Nubian goat and we have has her for two months. She stays inside at night and goes out in the back when I go out a d we stay out most of the day. She still drinks from the bottle and gets milk 2 times a day and all the water she wants. On Sunday the 23 of June, we came home from church and I found Morgan laying on her side, her cage was covered with urine and feces, she was yelling and could not get up. Her eyes were twitching but her body was not. Rushed her to the Vet, she got two B-12 shots and we brought one home for later. Morgan the. Spent the day with the Vet, they ran tests, gave her an IV and set her home around 5 pm.
This morning when I woke up, She was lying on her side, head curved back, eyes wide open and twitching. 3 times today she has been in the back yard and each time she fell over, she just laid there with her eyes looking like they were going to pop out of her head and her breathing was very fast. I picked her up, held her and talked to her and after about 5 minutes she was able to stand and walk. Her little neck and head still curves to one side but she has started eating more. PLEASE HELP

Would suspect she has a fever and she definitely has polio - she would need aspirin (human) to get the fever down - one 325 mg aspirin per 50 pounds body weight - crush the tablet and dissolve in a little hot water.  The B12 does nothing for what is wrong with the goat.  She would also need B complex that has B1/thiamin in it - this is also a human vitamin - she would need four of the vitamin B complex tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given to her now and again in 2 hours, 4 hours and then again in the a.m.  I would also start her on penicillin injectable at 1 cc twice a day for 5 days.  During this time she also needs probiotics - yogurt works great - one teaspoon twice a day.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

I forgot to ask if she is having diarrhea and what color it is.  Is she up to date on her CDT vaccination?  Thanks - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County