Goats/Sick Doe

We have a 5 yr. old Lamancha Doe who just had twins 5 days ago. We bought her last year early on in her lactation cycle and she always produced alot of milk. This time she seemed to have alot of colostrum but about the third day her milk supply just dwindled. She has enough for the kids. The last three feedings she hardly eats and she seems very tired. Poop is normal, she doesn't stagger when she walks and she grazed out in the field almost all day. She is fed a "sweet" goat feed and hay mornings and evenings. The hay is a clover/orchard grass hay. She gets as much hay as she wants.

Sorry for the delay in answering.  I would smell her breath and if it is sickly sweet it is ketosis - she would then need huge amounts of sugars - molasses or karo syrup given orally.  I would doubt hypocalcemia.  What has the weather been like?  Did she have any difficulty with kidding?  It also could be a pneumonia.  What color are her lower inner eyelids?  White to very light pink would indicate anemia and that could indicate she is bleeding inside from the birth or that she has barber pole worm.  No foam around her mouth?  What is her temperature?  Anything over 102.5 indicates an infection.  I would start her on molasses water - warm water with molasses in it (1/4 cup molasses to 2 cups of warm water) - as much as she will drink.   Would also start her on probiotics yogurt works), vitamin B complex (human type is fine - three tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given orally), vitamin D oil - one 2,000 to 5,000 capsule daily, you can mix all together.  She is peeing and pooping okay?  I would also suggest starting her on injectable penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day for 5 days.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County