Goats/sore foot

Question
Hi Donna , I have a 6 year old Sannan Doe , who is 3.5 months pregnant that has a sore foot . I noticed it a week ago and checked it all out , seemed fine accept it was swollen . I at the time thought it may be arthritis and decided to wait . Tonight she was under the barn and didn't want to make her way up the ramp for her feed , and instead was bleating for me to bring it to her . I went and brought her in and she was really limping and the foot is still swollen . I had clipped her feet a month ago and got a bit close on the end of the toe , drawing blood , so I think this may have become infected . Never really had to deal with this before , but thinking a round of antibiotics . What do you advise ? I have fast acting pen , and the la . Thanks

Answer
What is her temperature?  If over 102.5 then it is a fever and that goes with an infection.  It does already sound like an infection either from the clipping or having stepped on something.  Would start with penicillin (regular/fast acting) at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight (with the first dose a double dose) twice a day for 5 days.  She will also need probiotics during this time, either human or livestock probiotic powder or gel or just yogurt also works well.  Would also use aspirin on her for inflammation, pain and possible fever.  One 325 mg human aspirin per 100 pounds body weight every four hours for the first day and then twice a day for the next 4 days.  You would need to crush the aspirin and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally.  Would check her hoof pad and in between to see if there are any open sores or possible signs of something being embedded there.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres