Goats/1-week kid goat foamy and lethargic

Question
My 1-week old alpine was found this morning snuggled by herself and foaming at the mouth. She walks around a bit, but slowly.  She usually either stands and stares or just sleeps.  She nurses from her mom, but I bottle fed her (she only drank 1/8c) and she seemed to pep a bit after that, going to nibble only a small amount from her mom then getting a drink of water.  She has always been slower than her sister, who is nearly twice her size.  Also important to note is her umbilical cord was awful smelly two days ago, so I've been flushing with hydrogen peroxide and blotting with iodine.  Any thoughts??

Answer
Her symptoms point to an infection and the "smelly" umbilical cord would point to an infection there and that could go to her joints.  Would get a baseline temperature on her.  Pretty sure she has a fever (anything over 102.5 is a fever) - use of a human digital thermometer used as a rectal thermometer for her would work well.  Would start immediately on penicillin injectable - this is given intramuscularly and the first dose would be 2 cc, then 1 cc twice a day for 4 to 5 days.  Have you given intramuscular injections before?  Intramuscular is best given in the rear thigh muscle area - little ones may not have a big muscle there but you would feel a thickness in the rear of each leg. You can get the penicillin from most feed stores - use of 22 gauge 3/4 inch needles are the best for little ones.  Also would probably need one baby aspirin (81 mg) crushed and dissolved in a little water and given orally every 4 to 6 hours to help with fever.  Trying to keep the umbilical cord stump clean, as you are doing, is also important.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres