Goats/Goat's eye irritation

I recently (today) removed a horn that was growing into my goat's eye. After sawing it off, w/o blood thankfully, I noticed her eye is red and irritated, like pink eye. No crust or seepage, but obviously irritated. Now that the horn is gone, should I let it heal or add medicine? Thank you for reading my request.

Was the horn touching the eye at all?  It is possible the eye has an infection or it could just be inflammation.  I would treat the eye with either terramycin eye ointment or NFZ puffer powder antibiotics (okayed for use in the eye) - both should be available at the feed store. Dosing would be twice a day for either medication for 5 days.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County