Goats/Goat's eye irritation

Question
I recently (today) removed a horn that was growing into my goat's eye. After sawing it off, w/o blood thankfully, I noticed her eye is red and irritated, like pink eye. No crust or seepage, but obviously irritated. Now that the horn is gone, should I let it heal or add medicine? Thank you for reading my request.

nate

Answer
Was the horn touching the eye at all?  It is possible the eye has an infection or it could just be inflammation.  I would treat the eye with either terramycin eye ointment or NFZ puffer powder antibiotics (okayed for use in the eye) - both should be available at the feed store. Dosing would be twice a day for either medication for 5 days.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres