Goats/goats and worm issues

QUESTION: we have had our goats for 3 months and are  new to everything with them.  we have 2 does and a buck. our 3 year old doe has had issues with worms we have treated her with the vets assistance with ivomec plus 3 times and in between that treatment with panacure. the vet thinks the worms may have developed an resistance so we are going to try to go herbal.(this was over the course of 3 months)  we were wondering if we should breed her back in the fall because she became anemic due to the worms.  the is on the mend we think now her eye lids have gotten alittle pinker.?

ANSWER: So, Ivomec plus as an injectable or an oral liquid does not work on many stomach worms.  I take it the vet did a fecal float study and told you how many and what types of worms the goats have? Are the goats skinny? Are their lower inner eyelids white or barely light pink?  The lower inner eyelid check is for anemia and that is not caused by regular stomach worms but caused instead by the barber pole worm or liver flukes, which require a different wormer regimen to get rid of them.  Is their poop pelleted or are the pellets clumbed together or does it look like dog poop?

First off I advise use of an every 2 month worming regimen using Zimectrin oral horse wormer (ivermectin) and Safeguard oral horse wormer (fenbendazole).  You use twice the goat's weight to find the next higher increment on the plunger (measurements are written there), put the lock on and give orally once every 2 months, you switch back and forth between these two wormers every 2 months - so start with Zimectrin and then switch in 2 months to Safeguard, then 2 months later back to Zimectrin, and so on.  This is a just once every 2 month dosing.  The switching keeps the worms from getting resistant.  This is a regimen for regular stomach worms.  Easy to give, you cannot over dose them, and you can start at 2 months of age on all goats, and they work very well.  For smaller goats in weight - you can use 1/2 to 1 inch length of the wormers as a dose amount - you just squeeze the wormer on a finger and give orally (on the tongue).  

Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: should we do the  zimectrin and safeguard for barberpole worms? the vet never said specifically what worms she had she just said she was loaded with them.  she did have very pale eyelids but has since gotten a little better. her poop is pelleted clumbed together.  thank you very much for taking the time to help me!

If her poop is pelleted and clumped then she has regular stomach worms and that is probably what the vet saw.  If she is thin and her lower inner eyelids (must be these specifically) are white to extremely light pink it is possible she also has the barber pole worm which takes a different treatment regimen.  I would start with treating for regular worms - would start with Safeguard oral horse wormer as described for dosage.  Are the goats big enough to get a double weight dose on the plunger of the wormer (starts at 250 pounds)?  Hope that helps - keep me posted - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County