Hi Donna ,not a big problem tonight , just a question concerning the mastic Doe you helped me with early this spring , the coat hanger girl . Peanut made a full recovery keeping the one side of her udder working through all the needles and hot compresses . Her kid , over 4 months old now , I decided to take off her mom . Milking her off , I decided to check the side that had been so infected . Crazy but other than a bit of hard tissue and a very small teat , I believe that side , the udder is gone , its just not there . Is this what happens , and when I breed her will only one side be there for milk ? That would be ok , better one good side than what she had before , don't wish to put her through that again . Thanks .

It is quite possible that part of the udder has died and then absorbed by the doe.  It is also possible that the mammary system in that side of the udder is also dead and so would not come back with next kidding.  Hard to tell at this point.  You are correct though that better one good side and not have to deal with mastitis on the other.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County