Goats/SICK BILLY GOAT

Question
QUESTION: I HAVE A BILLY GOAT DOWN.HE WAS DOWN ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND WITHIN A COUPLE OF DAY'S HE WAS BACK UP AND NORMAL.THEN YESTERDAY HE WAS ACTING LIKE HE WAS CONSTIPATED AND TODAY HE IS BACKDOWN AND WONT EVEN TRY TO GET BACK UP HE WONT EAT OR DRINK.

ANSWER: What is his temperature?  Anything over 102.5 is a fever and would indicate an infection.  Soe he has not been pooping?  Is he peeing?  You call him a "billy" so I assume he is an intact buck?  How old is he? Any foam coming from his mouth?  What type of feed regimen is he on.  Any poisonous plants around? Any pond or other water source where he could drink from?  Let me know and I will get right back to you - Donna

QUESTION: yes he's a buck and he's proubably about 7-8 months old I don't have a thermometer right now with me but I felt up under his legs against his skin and its cool.there is no foam coming from his mouth he has been eating sweet feed and hay. he is crying and breating hard. we try to get him up but his legs are really walbly and he cant stand.

ANSWER: Could be anything from leptospirosis to urinary calculi to pneumonia.  Would start him on penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days.  Also would give probiotics - yogurt thinned out with water and given orally twice a day - 1/4 cup each time.  Would also start him on vitamin B complex - human type - 4 tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given orally twice a day.  Is his stomach hard?  Does he seem bloated? This may also be just constipation.  Let me know about the bloat or stomach - and I will get more info for you.  You may be needing to start him on a concentrated lemon juice regimen if it is calculi or he may need human mineral oil if it is constipation.  Let me know about his stomach - thanks - Donna 360-742-8310

QUESTION: YES HIS STOMACH DOES LOOK BLOATED BUT ITS NOT REALLY HARD.THEY GAVE HIM AN ENEMA EARLIER AND HE DIDN'T REALLY DO ANYTHING AND GAVE HIM ANOTHER TONIGHT AND NOTHING HAPPENED AT ALL.

Answer
An enema won't help unless it is constipation that is low in the intestine.  Have you seen him pee?  Is the hay alfalfa? Is the sweet feed a dairy goat chow?

Would also advise to either try mineral oil to see if this is constipation and/or bloat - 1/2 cup per 75 pounds of body weight every two hours for four doses - this is available at most grocery and drug stores - it is the human oral type - give as an oral drench - lift the head up just slightly and using a turkey baster or oral drencher give over the tongue as he swallows.  Keep him hydrated with electrolytes - human type if fine.  If you have not seen him urinate this could be urinary calculi and dosing with concentrated lemon juice at 1/2 cup per 75 pounds of body weight now, repeating in 2 hours and then repeating in 4 hours can help.  If he has been near a pond that would have access to wild animals (raccoons, etc.) then this could be leptospirosis and the penicillin and probiotics and vitamin B complex should help.  Let me know about my questions - thanks - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres