Goats/sick goat

Question
i have a 7 mo old lamancha doeling. she was not acting right..just standing around in the pasture 2 days ago. i brought her to the barn area to check her out. she was not snotting and she ate my regular goat feed ration out of my  hand.. but her nose was very cold.. she seemed a little disoriented . i gave her a shot of b12 and bose. he next morning the snot was running.. thick and yellow..i have not taken a temp. but i figured it was pneumonia.. so i gave her a 7cc shot of the only thing i had on hand.. tylon 50 and got her to drink about a third bottle of vit and electrolytes. then i headed to town.. as luck would have it my vet and assistant was out til this am.. so i gave her another 7 cc of tylon last night and tried to get more vit and eletrolytes in her.. i dosed her agin this morn with the tylon 50 and vit/electrolyte. the snot is def less now and is clear.. but her guts slosh when she walks.. i gave her 3cc of nuflor this am and she nibbled on some oak leaves..but thats it.. i have not observed her peeing or  pooping since yesterday.. i forced a little baking soda into her mouth about 30 min ago. do you think i need to give her an enema? she is up. but does lie down at times. she has BOSS and some shredded beat pulp available but she wont touch them. whichis odd for her.

Answer
HI Polly -
Sounds like possible pneumonia but without a rectal temp hard to be sure - Both Nuflor and Tylan200 (or 50 which is the same but 4 times less in strength than the 200) are both good for upper respiratory - the nuflor you will not give twice a day like the tylan - B vitamins are good - when they do get pneumonia they  do not want to eat - then not eating causes a disruption in the digestive system -  and from there it snowballs into bigger issues in the gut - no digestion - I doubt she needs an enema but  a goat  makes cobalt & Thiamine in the rumen when there is no digestion the cobalt / thiamine stops making - it needs to be replaced for digestion - B12 is a replacement for cobalt, B1 for thiamine.. http://goat-link.com/content/view/172/168  - Cobalt deficiency in ruminants leads to a vitamin B12 deficiency that is corrected with cobalt supplementation. Cobalt deficiency directly affects the metabolism of rumen bacteria which in turn affects the digestion process.
A sick goat's rumen doesn't produce B vitamins, hence the importance of adding them to the goat each day until it gets well. Initially thiamine should be given IM (into the muscle) but can be given SQ (subcutaneously) or even orally "after several days of treatment". Some Rx thiamine comes in 500 mg/ml strength, making the required dosage 1 cc per 100 pounds bodyweight. If thiamine is unavailable but the producer has injectable multiple B vitamins, check the label for how much thiamine (Vitamin B1) is present. Fortified Vitamin B Complex contains 100 mg/ml of thiamine, so the 4-1/2 cc per 100 pounds bodyweight dosage is appropriate. Glucose cannot be metabolized without thiamine. If thiamine is either not present or exists in an altered form (thiaminase), then brain cells die and severe neurological symptoms appear. If possible hold off on concentrates - grain, corn  sweet feed - and offer leaves and fruits - shredded beet pulp is fine - some BOSS but  just a little - Add molasses to her water  - that should make her want to drink it.. (Have you tasted livestock electrolytes? I have - Salty and nasty -) Do you have other tree leaves besides oak? They have tannin in them - for a healthy goat  in moderation no big deal but  in her state she may know  they are not as good for her as something else could be -  make sure you keep an eye on that temp though.. it's important to know if it is normal, sub normal or fever - it can change in a matter of hours - she should be at 101.5 to 103.5- over 104 is dangerous fever - lower than 100  says her body is trying to shut down - I'd try to get a hold of the vet today too.. let me know how she does..

goatlady
Goat-Link.com

Goats

Goatlady