Goats/sick kid

Hi Donna , last evening when I went and checked on this little fellow , I thought he would be dead this morning , nope , laid out on his side , I picked him up and got him on his very wobbly feet and he had a very long pee . Again as I went to work I really believed when back home he would be dead , again nope , and again laid out on his side with a very large poo behind him with the rottenest smell I have ever smelled . I've noticed this smell throughout his illness . The consistency is that of doe and normal color . I got him back on his belly at least and gave him water which he drank a lot , mayby a quart . I placed hand picked grass in front of him and he nibbled at it , as well as hay , but unless I stay there and keep proding him to eat it he soon gives up . His eyelid color is coming back so the iron is doing its trick . I'd like to give him some milk but I don't want to overdo it , so how much in this situation is enough to keep up what strength he has ? I still don't give him good odds but I will keep up with the treatment , he's in no pain just really sick . He is getting the pen as well as iron , probiotics , vitamin d and b50 complex , don't believe there's much more I can do . O I am worming for coccdia anyways to be sure . Thanks

Is he on penicillin? Would suspect this is more of an infection/pneumonia/leptospirosis - that would be my advice.  Might also use milk of magnesia to clean out his system.  1/4 cup every 4 hours.  The smell of his poop sounds like digestive issues that can be from pneumonia or lepto.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County