Goats/Goat 1st time mother

Question
How can I get mother to stand still so kid can nurse. Kid is pooping black tar and wants to nurse, but mom is to busy trying to mother her and won't stand still.

Answer
Hi Pam:
First of all the black tarry poop in a newborn is  normal - it will change to yellow sticky poop for about the first week or so.. -many first time moms are very sensitive to having a kid nurse.  You will have to be forceful and hold her still while the kid nurses..  you may have to do this each time  for the baby to eat enough..  For the first week we are talking about every hour or 2 - I have had luck standing over them  facing the backend and putting baby under while holding mom with my knees - I have also had to lay some down and let baby nurse at first like a puppy does. 95% of the time  after awhile, mom will settle and allow baby to nurse..  it may take weeks of doing this with her and baby..
Since mom is wanting to mother her..  which is good - I think she will "get it" after a few days of consistent  holding her still while baby nurses.. it is something that requires a lot of patience.  You will probably have to put the teat in the baby's mouth to  let it know there is milk there - many times once the baby starts to suck - mom settles down.. make sure you have removed the waxy plugs in the teats by squirting a few squirts of milk out first -  these are sometimes hard for a baby to remove.  You can also  supplement baby with a bottle in between feeding if you want a break.. so maybe every other feeding  - use a bottle give mom a rest - keeping mom and baby together - removing baby  can sometimes confuse a new mom and even over night she may forget the baby is hers. Easiest to have them both in a small pen where mom has food and water and shelter-  so you do not have to go chase her down each time.. and baby can be with her and lay and sleep with her..  make SURE baby is getting enough to eat  - belly should feel full but not tight - mouth should be warm.. baby should be active. IF at any time baby is sluggish, cool mouth, crying for no reason, she is not getting enough to eat..  and is starving.. it only take s hours for a newborn to go downhill from not eating.. Which is why I suggest a supplement bottle in between to make sure baby is getting something and to give you r back a break from standing over mom  holding baby up to eat and making sure all is well.

goatlady
Goat-Link.com

Goats

Goatlady