I have a nanny goat that is just about 2 years old.She had her first kid in Feb.I noticed a couple of days ago that she seemed to be having trouble getting up and now she cant get up at all.She is eating and drinking and her bodily functions all seem to be fine but she cant stand up.It seems like her back end is the worst because she does try to use her front end.I have 7 goats in all and she is the only one like this.Feed and meds are same as always.Nothing new,nothing changed...Paul

Hi Paul:
Typically when the back end gets weak - it could either be due to heavy wormload  or  injury  from getting knocked by another goat or stuck somehow that compromised her spine - Have you dewormed her since she kidded? IF so with what and how much?  Ivomec PLUS is the most effective dewormer there is  - controlling  the gastrointestinal worms as well as liver fluke (this is the PLUS part) .. many people use Safeguard which is really only effective for tapeworm in goats -  I am including a link to my deworming article which is detailed with illustrations - http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/ - Kidding makes them much more susceptible to wormload.. and many times it goes unnoticed until months later when it really depletes the system..  Look at her inner eyelid membrane - (here is a color chart- http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107 ) if it is less than bright pink she is anemic.. the lighter it is the worse the anemia is.. anemia will cause back leg weakness - In addition to deworming, she will need daily doses of vit B12 which helps the body to rebuild red blood cells -  this is a prescription medication BUT it can be found in the proper  amount in over the counter Vitamin B complex PLUS.. not the regular B complex.. -Look here at what I mean - http://goat-link.com/content/view/172/168/
Let me know if this hits the target - or if  she is properly dewormed and is not anemic..
If she is not anemic, try massaging her back along the spine.. see if this causes a reaction -  is it possible she got bonked hard by another goat? And you are Sure none of the feed is moldy?  What is her rectal temp? normal is 101.5 to103.5 - a failing goat whose body is shutting down will go below 100 which is very dangerous..  a fever is 104 or higher  also dangerous..  if she were not eating I'd suspect possible summer pneumonia.. but you mentioned her  appetite is fine..  let me know..

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University