Goats/Goat with a broken leg

Question
Hi, we have a 5 month old goat that has broken his leg in the last 48 hr. I'm thinking it's the 3rd and 4th maxilla, might be broke clean and needs setting. I was wondering how to set it? and also if it would be better to cast it or splint it?? He's walking on it but is limping very bad. if you could get back to me asap that would be great! thanks!

Answer
Baby Goat with Splinted Leg
Baby Goat with Splinte  
HI Morgan-
Sorry my internet connection tonight is SLOW -
Do the best you can  by laying him down on his side,  broken leg on top - put books or something under the leg on top to hold it flat,  feel the bone and then adjust it gently as best you can - a major adjustment should be done by a vet - do you mean 3rd and 4th metacarpal bones? (front leg?)  here is a diagram
http://www.goat-link.com/AngelGoats-Forum/article-images/goat-physiological/goat

Which ever you have that will immobilize the leg for a few weeks is good - a cast cannot be adjusted if you get it on too tight - and you will need to check the foot for coolness after application  of anything to make sure blood supply is not cut off -

http://goat-link.com/content/view/150/159/

I have recently found that the  pipe insulation for water pipes that comes in sections (in the walmart  section where you buy insulation)  with a split in it is great for a start of a splint - cut it long enough to come to the ground , open it up and place it around the leg - then vet wrap it.. this way there is strength and padding - ALSO I would give a couple days of pennG injections just to be sure there is no bone infection.  You will be surprised how quick it heals

A baby aspirin (not tylenol or advil only aspirin, half a regular one will do as well )  will help with pain  but you  do not want to mask the pain too much as this is what  makes the goat be more careful with her leg -  I have attached a baby goat with this type of splint  - but it works on bigger goats too - even if it does not close all the way it is gentle support   -  the vet wrap around it will keep it together -

goatlady
Goat-Link.com

Goats

Goatlady