Goats/goat with collasped lung

Hi I live in California and I manage a horse ranch. On the ranch one of the customers has 4 goats, 2 moms and 2 babies. They are Nubien goats. A few nites ago a pack of 3 dogs attacked the mom goats, the babies were in another pen. One of the goats appears to have a collasped lung and I have released the air in the stomach several times but it keeps reinflating. Her neck is very swollen and she has trouble breathing and eating. She only has a couple of bites from the dogs, but seems to have more body trama. She was trapped in a corner and banged around alot. The other goat has several bites and is doing better than the other but doesnt want to eat much. I have been giving them both pennicillion and cleaning the wounds. The mom that has the most bites also was bit on her milk sack and when u milk that side blood comes out. Is there anything I can do for them. If they heal how long before they should be bread again or milked. my number is  

HI Nancy:
Oh Boy this is a tough one.. dog attacks  are bad.. even if the goat doesn't seem that tore up externally - the stress and internal damage can be  extremely  detrimental.. The gas in the rumen  should have nothing to do with the air in the lungs - goats need to be situated upright.. on the breastbone - even if it has to be propped up that way.. laying on the side will cause bloat  - I don't know if this is the case but just for information for you.. What are the rectal temps of these  girls? normal is 101.5 to 103.5  higher than 104 is fever meaning there is some sort of infection in the body  - lower than 100 is very dangerous and means the body is trying to shut down.. a tetanus antitoxin injection is  in order for both of them.. I use the equine origin tetanus ANTItoxin (not toxoid)  1500 units - for a full grown goat  I'd use 4ccs -  can be (and should be in this case) repeated in 7 to 10 days.. ALSO the small punctures  are very susceptible to  screw worm..  keep an eye out for maggots..Screw worms go after live tissue not dead like other flies and can literally eat to the bone  from just a tiny puncture wound - -   a topical screw worm spray could be used for prevention  every  couple days.. B vitamins  will help with the stress  - I use 1cc/25lbs injected SQ - fortified B complex would be best in this case.. the Penn Procaine G injections should be  twice a day (as long as this is not the long lasting penicillin) I use 1cc/25lbs  SQ and ALWAYS draw back on the plunger with Penn before injecting as this is one med that can be fatal if it is injected into the blood stream.. IF you can get BO-Se from the vet  (selenium/VitE supplement) this helps with the immune system.. I use 1cc/40lbs daily for a few days and then weekly with sick goats - injected SQ - grain and sweet feed will be difficult to digest for a sick  or down goat -   maybe a cup of calf manna and some BOSS  daily to help with  nutrition - a good quality hay is best - add electrolytes to all water..  and maybe some molasses as well..  they lost  electrolytes quickly when  ill - and  this alone can take them down.

are the babies nursing? if not they will need bottle fed - NO milk replacers -  if mom's milk is not available -  best to use regular whole cows milk.. Banamine from the vet  will reduce  pain and swelling  - it's Rx  I use 1cc/100lbs daily  for injured goats.
Adding a few links for you..

Banamine -
B Vitamins
Tetanus Antitoxin
Calf Manna
Penn Procaine G

Bloat (which in a case of a laying  goat on it's side can also apply )
Bottle Feeding babies
Screw worm spray

ALSO a Similar question answered here by me in 2008

IN addition - In a few days if moms are improving you will want to deworm them both - stress  will bring on heavy wormload  -

I hope they make it.. be prepared because  many times they do not..  dog  attacks are  very bad for goats - worse than people realize - many times it is the stress that kills them- I'm so sorry this happened to you.. If in face this one girl has a collapsed lung, a vet will be required to  do anything  to fix it.. IF it can be done.. it wouldn't hurt to have both girls examined by the vet  actually.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University