Goats/Large knots in udder

Question
Bought two goats in Feb. Both were to be kidding. One in March. Never happened. She had large marble size knots in her udder. In June she started giving milk. I was told to milk her. In the beginning the milk was fine. Good color. Then after a couple weeks it turned pink. The blood would settle in the bottom of the jar. Called a vet. None have knowledge of goats here. I live in Louisiana. Anyway he said she has mastitis & the baby from the other mother was sucking on her. I dont think that was the case. He gave her two injections and put some injection in her udder on both teets. I was to do this the next day. I did that. I stopped feeding her grain & just gave Vitimin C and Alpha & little kelp. Originally was giving her a 28 oz can twice a day of Purina Goat Chow and Goat pellets, loose minerals that they will not eat and baking soda. She is not drying up & I am having to milk her like every 4-5 days. I do not drink the milk it has a grey color to it compared to the other mother goat. Now this morning when I milked her I got half the milk, the lumps in her udder seem to take up the whole right side, no lumps on the left side and they are hard. There was flakes in the milk also that I never had before. I started giving her about a half a can of both feeds twice a day & I have been giving her apple cider vinegar for a couple days now with water & molassas. I have no clue what to do now. I want her to dry up, not sure what to do. I am new at this & have tried putting hot compresses & massage to the bad side. If you have any suggestions please help.

Answer
HI Jay:
Pink milk can be the result for  small vessels in the teats bleeding - this can be from the doe not being used to being milked or from being milked too aggressively - or just tender teats - first time milkers sometimes do this because they are not used to being milked.  
The lumps.. could be  small tumors but if the milk has flakes in it I suspect mastitis  and this also will cause  internal lumpy tissue. You can try to  medicate the udder again. here is my article on mastitis:   http://goat-link.com/content/view/122/123  how to test at home for it and  on page 3 it shows the medications and how to use it..
Massage - hot compresses - some people use  peppermint oil from the health food store to use to massage with.. She will likely never be a milker again..
Did she ever kid? Keep one thing in mind.. Unfortunately esp goats at sale barn sales - if they are being sold  something is usually wrong..  not all of them.. but some folks will knowingly sell goats who  have issues and do not  say anything about it..sad but true..

I would retreat her for mastitis and keep doing what you are doing..  I'm sorry that you and her are going through this.. If she was a good milker at one time it will take awhile for her to dry up. Keep an eye on the lumps and  if the udder gets hot..  I think also I would call around to see if there is another vet more educated in goat care.

goatlady
Goat-Link.com

Goats

Goatlady