Goats/Pygmy Goat

QUESTION: My male goat is 1 1/2 to 2 months old. Yesterday he started having nasal discharge and his back legs are not working properly. He tries to walk, but his back legs fall behind and he eventually lays down very sickly like. He's not eating too much and he eats goat and sheep feed, and 12% all stock and regular grazing. We noticed this morning he had cud around his mouth. We do not know his temp as we do not have a thermometer. He is also shaking. He jumps up on the stump still, but is very weakly.

ANSWER: Hi Krystal -
This baby should still be on a bottle for most of it's nutrition - regular milk either goat milk or cow milk (NOT milk replacer) his digestive system is not yet ready to survive on solids alone

Bottle baby feeding article here - http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/76/
Digestion of baby goat here - http://goat-link.com/content/view/99/86/

- without knowing a rectal temperature, hard to say - a thermometer is really needed when you have goats - the nasal discharge could be allergy or pneumonia but in order to treat anything you really need to know his temp.

This honestly does not sound good - I think in this case I would opt for a vet visit- he sounds weak from lack of nutrition -
Has he been dewormed? Heavy wormload will make the back legs weak as well.
Article on deworming here - http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/

This sounds very serious and I really would call a vet first thing in the morning

QUESTION: We took his temp. 104 exactly.

ANSWER: You can give a baby aspirin for fever - not advil or tylenol, just regular baby aspirin, in addition  I use over the counter antibiotic injections of Tylan200 for upper respiratory- I use 1cc/25lbs twice a day for 5 days..  I think you need also to check and address the other issues I mentioned before..
bottle feeding milk and deworming
here is Tylan200  http://goat-link.com/content/view/177/168/  - if the feed store has tylosin it is the generic of tylan which is a brand name.. same thing..

QUESTION: Where do you get the OTC antibiotics? Buchheit or MFA or somewhere else?

Call in advance, Buchheit may have it.. so should MFA - tractor supply carries it as well - even your smaller  feed stores.. Family center also carries it.. they may have the generic but like I said, as long as it is tylosin 200 NOW if they ONLY have tylan50 or tylosin50 go ahead and get that but then the dosage would  be 4ccs/25lbs - this does sting  when injected..  but it works very well.. expect hollering from the injection.. and you can give it SQ

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University