Goats/Fuzzy Face

QUESTION: Hi Donna , Fuzzy Face today has finally taken a few steps . She still has one weak joint on her right forward leg , which causes her to stumble . Once down she try's to stand but still hasn't the strength . I place her back on her feet and she gets around for awhile . I gave her a seventh selenium shot yesterday as well as her last shot pen for the cold she had , now gone . I'm still giving vitamins as well as the d3 . Was wondering if I dare give another selenium shot tomorrow ? seems this is the stuff that's getting her up and going . I should mention she is actually putting on some flesh , eating everything in sight plus a bottle twice a day . I think I can safely say she is going to make it , and what a doll she is . Thanks .

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  How much vitamin D are you giving with each injection.  This is Bo-Se injectable, correct?  You may need to up her D oral to get the selenium to work its best.  But, with that said, it sounds like she is coming along nicely.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna , vitamin D3 i'm giving 1000 iu daily , human kind , mayby that's to much , not sure . The selenium  I use is called Selon-E , ACTIVE INGREIENTS : Selenium ( as sodium selenite 3.0 MG ) AND dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate ( vitamin E ) 136 IU , ALL THIS IN 1 ML . I looked this up on line and it is safe as far as I can tell . If I need change something please let me know , she's doing well and I want to keep her headed in that direction . Thanks

ANSWER: Thanks for the info - so it sounds like there is just not enough vitamin E (I am surprised).  Most selenium/E injections are 2 mg selenium to 1000 IU vitamin E. What it sounds like is that there is not enough vitamin E to get the selenium to work when the animal is already deficient in selenium.  I would also give oral vitamin E extra, at least 1000 IU to go with the 1 mg of selenium.  Injectable selenium easily can cause toxic effects and that's one reason I don't use injectables anymore, nor have I for 15 years or more.  Hope this helps.  Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna , I gave her another selenium shot tonight and 1200 iu vitamin E . Should I keep giving the E , and also the D-3 ? She definitely is gaining weight and much more vocal , not so feeble , only thing holding her back is that one leg . The problem right now is I work pretty steady , so there's no one to put her back on her feet when she falls . She does get around nicely till she falls , but put her back on her feet and off again . Saturday I'll be home to work with her . Thanks

Did you give her the vitamin D at the same time with the E and the selenium injections? I might add zinc, copper (1200 ppm for adult goats), vitamin C, calcium, biotin - these all help with muscle strength - what do you have on hand/available to you? I usually use infant vitamin drops that usually have a little of everything above.  Let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County