Goats/dosage of zimecterin for goats?

Question
QUESTION: Hi, i am wondering if it would be safe to use a medicated shampoo and conditioner on my pygmy goats. I came across the following products: 1)SynergyLabs VF Clinical Care Antiparasitic, Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo & 2) SynergyLabs VF Clinical Care Itch Relief Medicated Conditioner.
I am trying to find something that will help control lice, mites, mange, fungus, and general dermatitis.
I DO NOT WANT TO USE A CHEMICAL POUR ON, NOR DO I WANT TO USE A DUST AS BOTH MYSELF AND MY GOATS ARE RSPITORY SENSITIVE! that said, this could be a lifesaver if i knew the ingredients were safe for goats.  
I do regularily worm my animals but they seem to be externally losing the battle of the bugs!

I am more than frustrated at the lack of goat specific products, and even the lack of mention on products which can be safely used on multiple species. this shampoo and conditioner for example are marketed to dogs, cats, and horses.

i REALLY APPRECIATE any help here, my lil naughties need a good bath before the summer is over and i REALLY HOPE i can use this stuff with sucess.

thank you for a timely response!

ANSWER: So, looking at the ingredients on the antiparasitic (external parasites) I see the following:
Water, Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate, Acrylates Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Coal Tar, Salicylic Acid, Micronized Sulfur Powder, Colloidal Oatmeal USP, Fragrance, DMDM-Hydantoin, Allantoin, Tetrasodium EDTA.   So, the sulfates, acrylates, glycol, betaine, coal tar, salicylic acid, sulfur, EDTA are all chemicals - no different than use of dusts and oral antiparasitics.  

Re the other items you show, they have the same chemicals in them but also add Tea Tree Oil.

Some circumstances they can help with like itching and the mere fact of shampooing can knock out some external parasites, but if they are on your property they will come back again.

For 28 years we have used Zimectrin oral horse paste as part of our worming regimen and this also kills external parasites.  We have also used for all those years livestock or horse dust products.  Never, ever have we had any issues with side effects, but we have seen extermination of any and all external parasites.   Any animal can cough from the dust getting into their nasal passages, so you don't let that happen and if you are allergic to it you use a mask when putting it on.  

Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Thanks donna for such a thorough and fast answer. I will order the shampoo & conditioner today. i may try the dust at a future date, and maybe even try the Horse paste. my pygmies are babes, is it safe to use on babes you think? and at what dosage? thanks again for all your help, vets around here in my area that specialize in goats is rare, though we do have one.

ANSWER: I use the dust on kid goats from a week old safely.  I don't start using the Zimectrin horse wormer at 2 months of age.  Re kid goats, you must watch out re the shampoo as to not getting it into their eyes or nose, and then you must be sure to rinse well, as the chemicals in the shampoo including the non chemicals of coal tar can cause issues with the goat's internal systems.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: i have (3) 6 month old pygmies, and (1) 10 month old pygmy goat. at what dosage would i give the horse worming paste zimecterin?

Answer
The Zimectrin dose is found by using two times the body weight of the goat.  But with kid goats you really can't figure that out directly as the measurement on the plunger starts at 250 pounds.  As an example, a 100 pound goat would use the dose at 250 on the plunger (always go higher as you cannot overdose).  But for kid goats from 2 months to 9 months or so you use 1/2 inch of the paste (that's paste pushed onto your finger).  My regular worming dosing schedule is the use of Zimectrin and Safeguard oral horse wormers, using one every 2 months (switching between the two wormers every 2 months).  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres