Goats/teat is swollen and lots of milk

we have a new nanny with twins and they look to be nursing the same teat the other teat is enlarged and swollen with milk  what can I do

hello ted,

I would first try and have one of the kids switch over to the second teat. If you can get the kid to suck on it and keep nursing from it then the problem is resolved. kids for some reason pick a favorite teat. Just correct the same kid each time.

if you cant get the kid to nurse from the other side you will have to milk some out to relieve pressure. if you have never milked a goat its fairly easy if you have a large breed goat, you grab the base of the teat and squeeze. DO NOT pull the teat like they do in movies. Often times the goat will stop producing as much milk in that half of the udder but it is uncomfortable for the doe if its swollen and can result in mastitis if not monitored and kept clean.

Let me know if you need anything else!

I can answer anything relating to goat health. From medications, dosages, what medication you can give to pregnant does, what meds you can give for Urinary Calculi, I can help with birthing complications, preparations,and after the birthing. Goat diet, such as percent protein needed for different age groups. foraging questions, best hay for them and different types of hay. hoof trimming, milking and basic dairying. bottle raising kids, disbudding kids, wethering males. the only questions I can not answer are the ones about serious injury as i am not a vet, nor am I able to asses the situation with out seeing the animals.

I have raised dairy and meat goats for most of my life. Degree in biology and dairy sciences. I have birthed hundreds of goats, milked goats for ages, made products from the milk. disbudded several kids of all sizes.

American Dairy Goats Association, American goat Society, Nigerian Dwarf goats Association Georgia Boer Goat Association

Degree in Biology, Minor in Diary science

Superior genetics (goats)

Friends and family