QUESTION: How may potassium citrate tablets should be used per 8 op of lemon juice?  Can this mixture be flavored to aid in administrating?

ANSWER: It is per poundage of animal - so one cup of concentrated lemon juice to 75 pounds of body weight.  2-4 (does not matter which as this is just extra acid you are giving to eat up the stones) potassium citrate tablets.  But I do not mix the two.  The concentrated lemon juice should be given first.  Then you must crush the tablets and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and then give as an oral drench. Tablets given as tablets as a human would take will  not work with goats.

Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: I don't understand the last sentence.  As it is, I haven't been able to find potassium citrate tablets available anywhere.  I may be able to have them compounded, but am not even sure of this.  The vet has prescibed Methigel and  Banamine (Flunixamine) paste, but so far I haven't seen any improvement, although it has only been one day.  If I can get the compounded Pot/Cit, can it be mixed with flavored juice, instead of water?

ANSWER: The last sentence just means that for goats tablets must be crushed and dissolved before given to goats or they won't work, sorry for any miscommunication.

Re potassium citrate, these are generally available anywhere vitamins are sold - I get mine at WalMart or RiteAid.  This is just a regular mineral/vitamin used by people.  

So I take it your goat has urinary calculi?  What was the goat's feed regimen?  If he has not been peeing and was on an incorrect ratio of calcium to phosphorus (should be 2:1 or best is 3:1) then indeed it could be urinary calculi.  If not, then this could also be a urinary tract infection.  Did your vet do anything for the goat?

The concentrated lemon juice given every 2 hours for four dosings and then allowed to rest usually helps "eat" away at the stones enough so they can pass.  You may need to do a second day dosing too.  Methigel is a urine acidifier but is generally, in my experience, not strong enough to eat away at the crystals/stones and is expensive by the time you give enough to help a goat.  Banamine is just a pain medication.  I do not use this, but I do use aspirin (human 325 mg) at one 325 mg per 100 pounds of body weight every 4 hours to help with pain and inflammation in the urinary tract.  

Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: I was unable to find potassium citrate; however, I ordered and received ammonium chloride yesterday.  I gave her 1 1/2 tsp. and 1/2 of a 325 aspirin last evening, and again this morning.  Her output seems a little better, but not by much.  The directions for the ammonium chloride is 1 1/2 tsp drench per day.  Can this be given more often and in conjunction with the methigel?

Thanks for the update.  Is this a doe goat? Does generally never get urinary calculi as their system can take any ratio of calcium to phosphorus.  How old is the goat? I would think a diagnosis of urinary tract infection may be a better diagnosis as doe goats can get these often.  Is she on cedar shavings as a bedding? Re the ammonium chloride - that is a preventative as it blocks the calcium or phosphorus molecules from combining with each other thus not allowing stones to get big enough to cause issues.  Ammonium chloride won't help with current stones.  Have you taken a temperature on her?  If so, what is it?  Anything over 102.5 indicates an infection which would go along with a urinary tract infection.  Let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County