Goats/my goat

Question
QUESTION: I have a goat that was walking just fine one day and the next she started walking funny. Its like her back legs dont want to work and when she goes to run she runs kind of side-ways her back legs are shakey but she can walk just not that grate. I was wondering if i can do anything and whats wrong with her? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

ANSWER: How old is the goat? What color are her lower inner eyelids? Is she otherwise healthy and in good condition?  Any aggressive goats in with her?

If her lower inner eyelids are white to light pink this would indicate anemia and that could be the reason she is weak/shaky.  She also could be selenium deficient for which she would need human oral selenium tablets along with vitamin E and D oil - I can give you the dosage once I know the age of the goat.

Any foam around her mouth?  Any chance there are any poisonous plants in the pasture. Are her hooves in good condition/trimmed?

Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: She is around 1 year old. I have 8 other goats and yes they are kind of aggressive but only when they get grane but to go out and eat in the filds they dont mind being around eachother. No she is not foaming at the mouth. Thank you very much for your help. I hope that you can help me some more with her problem.

Answer
Thanks for the update. Did you have a chance to check the color of her lower inner eyelids? Also are they up on hoof trimming?

I would at least start her on human oral selenium - you use ten of the 200 mcg (normal dosage) tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that mixture add all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule (I usually just prick a hole in the capsule and squeeze out the oil), and add all the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule, mix, cool and give orally now and repeat in 10 days.  If her lower inner eyelids are light pink to white she should also have treatment for the barber pole worm or liver fluke along with treating the anemia.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres