Goats/hoof rot

QUESTION: Hi Donna , got to love this January thaw !! A fellow emailed me saying two of his goats may have hoof rot , dos'nt surprise me as i know how slack he is . Any way i never had to deal with this before , he says he did their hoofs a few days ago and now they are both limping , sounds like he cut a bit to deep . If it is hoof rot he wants to know how to deal with it , can you help ? Thanks
Ps Another fellow tells me his goat has a crusted up nose , he think's may be a cold , that's all i know , any suggestions ?

ANSWER: Hi there - glad the thaw is coming for you.  We are just in perpetual rain, but that's normal Washington State weather.  True hoof rot is easy to see/smell - when the hoof pads have cauliflower like bumps on them and/or there are lesions just in between the two hoof pad sections, and the smell is really disgusting (even more than just from stepping in poop), then that is true hoof rot - trimming off the lesions and disinfecting with 10% bleach solution usually kills the bacteria on the surface, but treatment with injectable oxytetracycline or penicillin will also help kill it from the inside out.   This can be painful and so causes the goats to limp.  But, if none of the above symptoms were evident when he trimmed the hoof, it is possible he just trimmed to close and they are sore.  Spraying with Blu-Kote or other spray on antiseptic also helps kill any bacteria and also dries the hoof up and helps it heal.  If he thinks this is hoof rot he also should treat all other sheep and goats at his place with dipping all their hooves in a 10% bleach solution now and again in 5 to 7 days.  He can also give human aspirin 325 mg tablet per 100 pounds of body weight (crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, then cooled and given orally) every 4 to 8 hours to help with the pain/discomfort.  

Re the "crusted up nose", this could be from a cold, but it also could be the start of soremouth - it sometimes starts with blisters and then crusty scabs on the nose and works its way around the lips.  It could also be just an infection around the nose that can be treated with topical antibiotics.  If it is soremouth, this is contagious and not much can be done for this except to keep the goat away from others until the lesions have popped and healed.  

Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna , Re the crusted nose , not that bad . There is another major problem though . His goats have wasted away to skeletons . I advised him that even worming them is not necessarily going to bring them back . I wormed with the new stuff i have the bolus , around a quarter tablet per goat , of course crushed and dissolved in water . It does work almost to well as with heavy infestation's it seems to make them weak for a time . It look's like he has liver fluke there , so i think it may be blood loss causing the weakness . I wormed a few of my own goats with this and they tolerated it fine , but mine don't really have a large load of worms on board . Not sure what else i can do , i got him to get the proper feed for them and better hay , was thinking an injection of A-D vitamin and perhaps some selenium  , maybe some iron , what do you think ?

Would see if he can get the horse wormer fenbendazole to treat for the liver flukes - are the inner eyelids light color to white?   Would start on vitamin B complex and vitamin D - triple the human dosage, along with probiotics daily for at least 10 days.  Would add iron tablets if the eyelids are light in color. Is their poop pelleted?  If so, then it is probably not regular stomach worms but something worse as barber pole worm (although doubt that as you have had a cold snap there and that should have killed them all, but these could have been in them for a while - same with liver flukes.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County