Goats/Vaginal prolapse

Question
Hi. I have a 3yr old boer doe, second pregnancy, who is due in 10 days. Her vagina is starting to show just inside her vulva. She prolapsed after her first delivery, and also had toxemia. We bought her weeks before she delivered and have no prior history on her. She was extremely fed out. Since then has regained a healthy weight and doing great otherwise. So we bred her, hoping that it wouldn't be a genetic thing. But it looks impending. I'm pretty sure she is going to prolapse when she starts to deliver. Can she push a kid out with her vagina external? Do you have any experience with these situations? I have pulled kids a few times but no experience except our vet stitching her up last year, with prolapsed parts.

Answer
Vaginal prolapses can be genetic or they can be due to selenium deficiency (selenium strengthens muscles in the goat).  Stitching the vulva up is advised if the vaginal walls are literally "falling out" of the vulva.  A doe usually cannot kid without help when there is a vaginal prolapse involved.  You would need to help her out at the first sign of pushing, perhaps using a hand on each side of the vaginal wall to hold them back while she pushes the kid out or possibly even pulling the kids out as soon as she starts her labor (I have done both with success).  Using lots of KY jelly to help lubricate her in both situations usually also helps with the kidding being a bit easier/no suction to the vaginal walls to pull them down as she pushes.  Would go ahead and give the extra selenium to help with muscle strength - use of ten of the 200 mcg human selenium tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and to that add all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and all the oil from an 800 vitamin D capsule, mix well, cool and give orally, and repeat in 2 days.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres