Goats/Bloated Goat

Question
QUESTION: Hi, my 1 1/2 yr old mini nubian has been sick and not eating much but hay for three days. Her stomach does look bloated and she hangs her head down, staying away from the others. I have given her mineral oil on the first day. A suringe drench of yogurt the second day and 2 shots of penicillin since she had a temperature. Today she has gotten yogurt and pedialight by drench. I am going to worm her also today but it has only been about 12 weeks since last wormed. I can not hear any rumen sounds today but I am not sure what else to do she seems no better.

ANSWER: Is she peeing and pooping normally? Any discharge from her nose? What was/is her temperature? What had she been eating before the symptoms?  How much mineral oil and how often did you give it to her? Was the penicillin subcutaneous or intramuscular? What did her poop look like? Is the bloat on both sides or just the left? Let me know the answers to my questions and I will get back to you with a possible illness/remedy. Thanks - Donna

QUESTION: She has pooped because it was on her butt I havenot seen her pee yet. No discharge from the nose. She has been eating in the days prior to this. We did her temp by her flank because a thermometer was not available.  He poop recently is a dark brown color. It was intermuscular penicillin. She did feel tight on both sides so yes she was bloated on both. TThanks

Answer
Thanks for the update.  Is the poop really a diarrhea then and not pellets? The temperature to be accurate needs to be taken rectally.  What is the weather like in your area - looking to see if the weather is wet or cold.  

Bloat can certainly cause the goat not to eat well - so would continue with mineral oil, dosing is 1/2 cup per 75 pounds body weight every 4 hours for two doses.  You should see improvement - less tenseness in the sides of the stomach - within about 2 hours.  

This could also be a pneumonia - so would treat for that too - 3 cc/100 pounds body weight penicillin twice a day for 5 days and during this time the goat also needs to be on probiotics - yogurt is fine.

Since she is not eating well would also give her vitamin B complex (human type) - 4 tablets per 100 pounds body weight - given twice a day - this is to help keep her from coming down with goat polio (a secondary disease that happens when a goat does not eat enough and the rumen stops functioning correctly).  

Would keep her hydrated - if she is not drinking for you would drench her with electrolytes.  

What wormer are you using? If her poop was pelleted before her symptoms started then she probably is clear of worms - generally when goats have worms their poop usually looks like dog poop.  

Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres