Goats/Cough in young female boar goat

Question
Help please- I recently purchased a approx 3 month (not sure) boar goat as a companion for my 3 yr old neutered dwarf/Pygmy goat after we moved.  The boer, Rosie, has had a cough since I got her.  There were other goats in the herd coughing too but I was told that it was from eating too fast.
I hear her cough when she wakes up, after running and after eating.  Not ever having a boer goat I don't know what to do.  I did notice today that her stools were one big blob instead of the individual droppings.  Otherwise she seems healthy,  she eats, runs and tail is up all the time.  No noticbly runny nose or eyes, very alert.  I don't want my 3 yr old to catch something. Please advise-
Thank you,
Eileen

Answer
Coughing in goats can come from eating dusty and moldy hay, or indeed eating too fast, but this generally is not a consistent cough, just once in a while.  Where are you located?  This is possibly lung worm, which can be treated.  Re the poop, the "big blob" like dog poop, generally indicates stomach worms.  Have you wormed her recently?

I would suggest first checking her hay to be sure it is not dusty or moldy, or if she is on grain that the grain is not dusty/moldy.  If not then I might start with Children's Benadryl, and for a 20 pound animal (let me know how much she weighs) this is usually 1/2 teaspoon of this liquid twice a day - this can help if the throat is inflamed from eating dusty feed, and you should see improvement/less coughing in about 1 or 2 days.  If after 3 days there is still consistent coughing would start on a regimen for lung worm - for this use of Safeguard oral horse wormer (Fenbendazole is the worm medicine in it) given using three times the goats weight to find the dosing on the plunger once a week for three weeks.  Since I am assuming this 3 month old goat is probably around 25 pounds you would not find the 75 pound measurement on the plunger (starts at 250 pounds usually), I would give her 1 inch (put 1 inch length of this paste on your finger) of the paste orally.  So, again, you give once and then again each week for a total of 3 weeks.  

Re the possible stomach worms, the Safeguard oral horse wormer will also take care of the stomach worms in her system along with possible lung worms.

Hope this helps - let me know.  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres