Goats/Doe with diarrhea

QUESTION: I have a 7 year old doe that has diarrhea. She had normal pellets until yesterday morning. I gave her 2 doses of pepto yesterday and one this morning. I also gave her probiotics and electrolytes today. Her temp is 101.9. I checked her lower eyelids and they are light pink. She is due for deworming again so should I do that or wait for her diarrhea to get better first? The diarrhea is normal color, brown/green. She is on grain while milking and pasture the rest of the day. We will be switching to hay this week. The only difference in her feed was the day before she got this I gave some orange and grapefruit pulp and peels to the goats. If she ate too much could it have caused the diarrhea?

ANSWER: This sounds like digestive upset, probably from the orange and grapefruit, that is generally too acidic for a goat's rumen.  Sounds like you have her on the correct help - would expect her to change back to pellets today or tomorrow.  Would keep up with probiotics and pepto.  Would wait until she is back to normal pellets before worming her.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Hi again. It has been a few days but my doe is still having bad diarrhea. She is still acting alert but stands a bit hunched and lays down often. I think being sick is taking its toll. She is getting very thin although she still has a good appetite. Is there anything else I can do? I have still been giving her pepto, probiotics and electrolytes. I was not giving her enough pepto the first 2 days. I thought it was only a quarter cup, but yesterday and today have been giving her 1/2 cup at each dosing, usually twice a day. Thank you so much for your time, I really hope I can save her.

Is the diarrhea still brown?  Any foam or mucous in the diarrhea? Pepto is 1/2 cup per 75 pounds body weight every 4 to 6 hours for at least two doses and more as needed.  She certainly could have a bacterial enteritis for which oral antibiotics can help.  Do you have any oxytetracycline, or tetracycline, or duramycin or sulfa powdered livestock antibiotics?  If not, feed stores usually carry all or at least one of the above.  Dose is 1 teaspoon per 100 pounds twice a day for 7 days - mix in yogurt or liquid and give as an oral drench.  Keep up with the probiotics and vitamin B complex too.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County