Goats/doeling

Question
QUESTION: we have this 5 to 6 months doeling, that have a lump on the left side where her jaw and throat meets and this happened over night, her eye lid color is dark pink so i ruled out bottle jaw and it doesnt seem like a CL to me because it doesnt feel like an abscess, its just swollen and its soft. she is eating fine running around active and just like i said it happend over night. i dont know what is it or what can i do. thank you and GOD Bless

ANSWER: It could be an internal abscess. I would suggest isolation and keeping an eye on her.  See if it is growing. The other possibility is milk goiter. Google that . It is harmless. Let me know if you have questions.

QUESTION: about the milk goiter, she has been weaned for a while,, would they still get that?

Answer
Much less likely if she is weaned. (I guess I was thinking of my goats, whose mothers sometimes won't wean them and whose granddaughters even nurse from them.) I would then suspect abscess. I have seen them in the neck where they go more inward than outward. The concern is that they will press on the throat and affect swallowing and breathing. I had a vet lance one like that when her breathing was affected. I tend to wait for them to ripen before lancing or hiring a vet to do it.

Let me know how it goes.

Goats

Cheryl K. Smith