Goats/Goat Passing Blood

Question
Hello!

I have a female goat that is about 9 years old who is pee-ing straight blood. It is very alarming. She has also just started passing what look to me like clots of blood. She is still active but has had a decrease in appetite. I am by no means knowledgeable about goats as she is my first and probably only goat. Our vets in the area do not seem at all concerned about goats in general. They shrug their shoulders give us medicine and wish us luck. We have managed to give her a shot of penicillin however we were unable to catch her tonight for her second shot. Any idea what this may be?

Answer
Sounds like a very bad urinary tract infection. Many times an oral antibiotic will help. Do u have any  currently? Let me know. Donna

added information
Sorry, I was on the road so could not answer as much as I wanted.

For urinary or kidney infection which is usually indicated by blood in the urine and late stage infection with clots, I would use an oral antibiotic - feed stores usually have several to choose from - Sulfa, terramycin, duramycin, tetracycline, etc.  Whichever you choose usually works - because she does have "straight blood" I would start with a higher dose - 2 teaspoons per 100 pounds of body weight, given twice a day - you need to mix the powder with a lemonade or apple juice as the antibiotic powder tastes quite horrible.  This is given as an oral drench.  During this time the goat also needs to be on probiotics, vitamin B complex, electrolytes and/or cranberry (either juice or tablets - if tablets - these are human tablets - you would use 3 tablets per 100 pounds body weight, crushed and dissolved in a warm liquid).  You can mix all together if you like - I use yogurt (human type) as the probiotic, about 2 tablespoons for a 100 pound goat twice a day, and four tablets of human vitamin B complex, again crushed and dissolved in a little hot water - you mix all together and give this combination twice daily for seven days.  The antibiotic powder is given for 7 days. Getting her to drink as much liquid - water, lemonade, warm molasses water, etc. is good for her so she flushes the bacteria out of her system/cleanses her system.  I generally give aspirin for pain/inflammation but with this much blood would hold off on the aspirin for a few days until the amount of blood in the urine has lessened.  Then you can give her one 325 human aspirin per 100 pounds body weight twice a day - again you need to crush the aspirin and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally - and again, this can be mixed in with the probiotic, vitamin B and antibiotics if you want.  Keeping her in a small enclosure will help you keep an eye on her and also enable you to give her the medicines she needs.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres