Goats/momma goat

Question
QUESTION: I have a small goat who is pregnant and we think she is due soon. For the past 4-5 days she hasn't been eating slot nor drinking. Her tail looks like she has had diarrhea. There was one day where she was laying down and stretching out and would look like she would doze off. Then she would get back up and walk around and nibble on grass. Then do it all over again. We thought maybe she was in labor. Now she had dried greenish dried stuff in her nose and coming down her eyes. She looks a little thinner now too like maybe her babies have dropped. She just isn't acting like herself. We moved her to her own pen beside the other goats since we thought we should our could have babies any day now. We are new to the goat thing. I am worried abou
t her. Please help. Thank you

ANSWER: The greenish nose discharge, lack of eating could mean pneumonia. The thinness could mean she is soon to be in labor. Do you have penicillin? This is over the counter med at feed store. Have u given injections before? She also needs vitamin b complex and probiotic to keep her rumen alive. Do u have human vitamin b complex? Do u have any livestock antibiotics? Let me know.

QUESTION: I don't have any of this. Is it OK to give her this stuff since she is pregnant? And do I need to give it all to her? It won't hurt her if maybe that's not what she has right? Should I give that to her just in case she has pneumonia? Thank you so much for your response.

Answer
All of the above items are fine for the kids too/will not hurt them.  The not eating and drinking can certainly happen when the doe is in labor, but the greenish nose discharge is concerning.  If this is pneumonia and the doe gets worse this could make her so ill that her milk does not come down, her rumen shuts down, she does not have enough nutrition to keep babies alive/healthy.  

If she were my doe I would do the following:
1. Start her on at least oral antibiotics - at the feed store they usually have over the counter powdered antibiotics - duramycin, sulfa, terramycin, etc. This is given twice a day for 7 days. If she is not getting up at all then would immediately switch to injectable penicillin or LA200 (also over the counter at the feed stores).  
2.  Start her on probiotics - human yogurt at 2 tablespoons twice a day - you mix with a little water to thin this and then draw up in a dosing syringe or turkey baster or regular syringe (without the needle) and give to her orally.
3.  Start her on vitamin B complex - human kind - 4 tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given orally twice a day - you can mix this mixture in with the yogurt.
4.  Start her on oral feedings - mix up either human oatmeal (mixed like you would eat it) with some karo syrup or molasses, with some applesauce - mix well - I like a blender as it makes it easier to give via the oral drencher or turkey baster - thin as needed with water or people electrolytes. About 1 cup of mixed oats with one tablespoon of karo syrup or molasses with 1/4 cup of electrolytes is a good combination.
5.  Give her warm molasses water to drink - about 1/2 cup molasses to one gallon of warm water - or you can orally dose her with people electrolytes to keep her hydrated.

Has her udder filled up?  Can you feel the kids moving?  Have her pelvic ligaments disappeared? Pelvic ligaments not being able to be felt anymore is a very good symptom of labor to start soon.  Let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres