Goats/RE: Doe with diarrhea

QUESTION: I usually use switch between safeguard and ivermectin. But since I was using her milk last time I used manna pro goat dewormer pellets. I don't know what the milk withholding time is on the other two dewormers. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and worm her now?

ANSWER: Usual minimum time for any wormer is 96 hours.  I would go ahead and worm her now, especially since she is eating well.  Hope that helps.  Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna. I wormed my goat yesterday and have been giving neomycin since the 3rd of october. It is the only sulfa drug I could find. My goat is still scouring badly. She is still eating and drinking electrolytes. When should the scouring stop after giving the sulfa drugs? I have been trying to find out what else it could be. I don't think it is enderotoxemia because she is still eating but I know she is not up to date on the cd toxoid either. Did not know if I should order some antitoxin or not. Or should I give some penicillin. Sorry for all the questions, I really want to get her feeling better. I have even tried giving her some activated charcoal.

ANSWER: Brown diarrhea is either bacterial or digestive upset. Yellow is entero. Green is coccidiosis. How much pepto r u giving?

QUESTION: Ok. I am still giving the half cup each dose. I am worried that is giving too much to her for this many days. I give her pepto 3 times a day.

So the diarrhea is still just brown? Dose is 1/2 cup per 50 to 75 pounds body weight every 2 to 4 hours - but usually three doses starts to help the diarrhea.  Neomycin is really only for E. coli - if the diarrhea was white, then that would be E. coli.  It is also possible this could be a pneumonia along with digestive upset as sometimes pneumonia will cause diarrhea.  You can certainly start her on injectable antibiotics such as penicillin (3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days) or oxytetracycline/LA200 at 4.5 cc/100 pounds body weight once a day for 5 days.  These are best given intramuscularly - use of a 20 gauge 1/2 inch needle works well for either.  Have you given intramuscular injections before? During this time the goat must be on probiotics to keep the rumen functioning well,  would also keep on vitamin B complex (human tablets at 4 tablets per 100 pounds crushing the tablets and dissolving in a little hot water so you can give orally).  You can also try canned pumpkin to help with diarrhea - it can do a good job and is good for the goat - I mix about 1/2 cup pumpkin/50 to 75 pounds body weight with 2 tablespoons of probiotic and the vitamin B complex - I give this twice a day.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County