Goats/Skin problem

I have 4 goats, but one as a round raised crusty patch on her rear just where the tail starts. She is also lying down more than the other three goats. Any ideas ?

About how big is this patch?  Any drainage or liquid at the patch or around it? Is the area painful to touch?  Is the area soft/spongy feeling to touch? This could be an abscess area that popped by itself and is starting to heal but could still be causing illness symptoms, to include not eating well, not as active as normal, running a fever (anything over 102.5 is a fever).  This could also be an area of mange mites.  Let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County